rPET flakes for Pet Fiber

PET fiber production is an application increasingly in demand, particularly in developing countries in Asia, Africa, and South America. To achieve the right quality of rPET flakes, colorings and additives must be separated and removed from the post-consumer PET being treated in the recycling line.

SOREMA offers different solutions for the production of any kind of fiber from rPET flakes.

The flexibility of the modular solutions, the different sizes of installations (from 500 to 9.000 kg/h output capacity), and the competence of SOREMA can assure its customers of the best and most advanced technologies for the production of absolute high quality r-PET flakes.

Over 60% of the globally produced PET goes into the realization of synthetic fibers. These fibers have been manufactured on an industrial level ever since the late 1940s. Today they are produced with different diameters, depending on the needs of their final application. PET fibers made of 100% post-consumer rPET were already introduced in 1999 by Mohawk Industries. Synthetic fibers are considered to account for 65% of the total production, with only the remaining 35% being natural fibers.

PET fibers are used for the realization of clothing and home furnishing. They are employed, for example, in carpets, curtains, wall coverings, sheets, and pillow cases. In addition, their presence is common in objects such as hoses, ropes, and nets. Their use in such a wide variety of applications is due to the fact that they present a strong resistance to chemicals and to mechanical stress. Other advantages of PET fibers make them particularly appealing to everyday life. For instance, PET fibers are extremely resistant to stretching and shrinking, and dry very quickly. This makes their use in clothing very interesting, as they are easily washed. Garments in which PET fibers are used also present the advante of being wrinkle resistant, making ironing a much easier task. Color preservation is another quality which makes their use very interesting.

Global production of textile PET grew from 20 million tons/year in 2002 to 39 million tons/year in 2008.

Industrial uses of PET fibers include the strengthening of tires and of concrete, seat belts, and conveyor belts. This is due not only to their good mechanical characteristics, but also to their resistance to brightness and a wide range of climiatic conditions. Fiber-reinforced concrete contains uniformly distributed PET fibers. This application is aimed at avoiding cracking, which often ensues from plastic deformation, reduce water permeability, and increase impact resistance. One of the main advantage of PET over other fibers is its resistance to strongly basic environments, which are found within concrete.